Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Girl Who'll Have To Wait Upon My Shelf

So The Fall I was ready and willing to read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  A friend at work had recommended it, it sat in my closet since its release, and I love a good mystery; so with three reasons that are inarguable I decided I'd give it a go.  Unfortunately, I couldn't really get myself into it, which meant one of two things:

A.) I wasn't into the book and had wasted money on the trilogy.

B.) I had Reader's Block.

Without a doubt B is the answer I have to go with here, simply because after all of the books I've read I never really gave myself a proper reading break.  I've been dealing with weighty tomes of bloodsuckers, and to tackle what I hear is quite a dark and unforgiving series is not exactly the best idea at the time.  So, for a little while at least, my reading diet will consist of three things:  Whimsy, Comedy, and Comic Books.

Just because I've given myself a break doesn't mean I won't be reviewing anything.  As a matter of fact, you should expect reviews on The Walking Dead and Scott Pilgrim, as well as "I Hate Other People's Kids", "Spoiled Rotten America", and a Doctor Who book I've specially chosen for this time of year.  ("Forever Autumn".)  If that's not enough, I've been listening to two audiobooks recently that I'll also be throwing into the pot: Carrie Fisher's "Wishful Drinking" and Paul Shaffer's "We'll Be Here For The Rest Of Our Lives".  Both Unabridged, both read by their authors, and both infinitely entertianing. 

I'll eventually return to Lisbeth Salander at some point, but for now I feel as if I need some time to breath when it comes to Mysteries.  In the meantime, buy yourself a copy of The Fall: Book Two of the Strain Trilogy.  It's out in bookstores today, and I cannot stress the point enough that if you want quality modern vampire fiction, this is the series you've been waiting for.

1 comment:

  1. This book starts out SO VERY SLOWLY. Let me repeat that: SO SLOWLY. I very nearly gave up on it about 12 times during the first 80 or so pages. (As it turns out, I am not as interested in Scandinavian finance as the author seemed to think I should be.) However, once the story gets going, it is really quite the ride. I agree that maybe you have genre-fatigue, and after reading something else for a while, you might be ready to give this another chance.

    ReplyDelete